Part of becoming carbon negative is measuring our total carbon footprint. This means tracking both our direct and indirect emissions (otherwise known as Scope 1, 2, and 3 emissions).
After measuring our emissions, we can offset them by purchasing carbon offsets. We will focus on supporting the most efficient carbon sequestration techniques available according to environmental experts.
Our goal will always be to minimize our greenhouse gas emissions. We do this by carefully sourcing our raw materials, using sustainable packaging, and minimizing our energy use. This will be a fluid process and we are learning as we go, but we are always open to feedback and collaboration.
Finally, we will Revive our community and our planet by giving back 5% of our profits per bottle to local & global environmental causes.
Why Whey for Vodka and Gin
- Whey utilization: Whey is a byproduct of cheese production that is often discarded or used in animal feed. Whey vodka is made by distilling the lactose-rich whey, which helps to reduce waste and utilize a material that would otherwise go unused.
- Reduced carbon footprint: Producing whey vodka typically requires less energy and resources compared to traditional grain-based vodkas. The process of distilling whey requires less water, land, and fossil fuels, resulting in a reduced carbon footprint.
- Lower water usage: Compared to grain-based vodkas, whey vodka production generally requires less water. Our use of whey cuts 85% of our water needs for fermentation. By choosing whey vodka, you can support a more water-efficient production process.
- Waste reduction: By repurposing whey into vodka, we help alleviate the environmental impact of excess whey disposal and prevent it from ending up in landfills or water bodies.
- Flavor. Whey provides a creamy base for our spirits. In our vodka, whey gives off vanilla and slight cinnamon flavors, while our gin gets a bright citrus note from the whey.
How We Minimize Packaging Waste
Our glass bottle and packaging are designed with sustainability in mind. The glass used in our bottles is 100% recycled, which means it has been repurposed from previous glass products and given a new life. This reduces the demand for new glass production and the associated energy consumption and carbon emissions. Additionally, the cork used to seal the bottle is compostable, meaning it can break down naturally in the environment without leaving harmful residues. The safety seal on the bottle is made from cellulose, a renewable plant-based material, and is also 100% compostable. Lastly, our compostable paper labels are free of laminate, taking our eco-friendliness even further. Join us in our mission to make a positive impact on the planet, one bottle at a time.
1% for the PlanetLearn More
We are proud members of 1% for the Planet. This organization is focused on helping businesses direct donations to environmental causes.
The Land InstituteLearn More
This non-profit is dedicated to reconciling industrialized food production with nature through regenerative agriculture. One of their top priorities is to perennialize grain crops - ultimately minimizing human degreadation of ecosystems.
Friends of the Boundary WatersLearn More
An organization committed to protecting, preserving, and restoring the Boundary Waters and Quetico-Superior ecosystem.